Get Ready for ACES 2014
Earlier this week, the American Copy Editors Society hosted a Twitter chat about its upcoming annual conference. In addition to reinforcing why you should attend (training, networking), there were tips on how to make the most of your conference.
For those times when you want to attend simultaneous sessions, our own Dawn McIlvain Stahl (@PurplePenning) suggested befriending someone going to another session and sharing notes or following someone who’s live tweeting one of the sessions. Board members Merrill Perlman (@meperl) and Andy Bechtel (@andybechtel) note that session hopping is another good way to sample more than one session at a time.
Gerri Berendzen (@gerrib) and Christine Steele (@kindersteele), also board members, suggested attending one of the themed lunches on the first day. It’s a great opportunity to talk to a few people on a shared interest. Attendees are encouraged to sign up in advance (opens in Google Docs) as spots go quickly. (FYI: I’ll be hosting the freelancers lunch. Join me!)
You can read plenty more tips in the Storify article Berendzen put together.
And because I wasn’t able to make the chat, here’s my advice on networking at conferences:
- Bring your business cards. If your company doesn’t give them to editors, get your own through Vistaprint, Moo, and other affordable services.
- Keep those cards handy. Put them in an easy-to-reach pocket; avoid fumbling with that business card case.
- Hand out those cards! Whenever you’re having an interesting conversation with someone, ask if you can give them your card and stay in touch.
- Make notes on the back of the cards you receive. You’ll meet so many people, it’s likely they’ll blur together by the end of the conference. Write your notes daily if you can.
- Review all the business cards you collected. Once you get home—or on the way home, if you can—organize the cards you collected. Is there someone you want to stay in touch with? Drop them a quick note telling them how nice it was to meet them. If you promised to do something for someone, do it right away.
Remember, today is the last day to register for ACES 2014 to receive the early bird rate. I hope I see you in Las Vegas!