This month, Copyediting newsletter will experience a big change—one that Laura and I have worked on for over a year. We surveyed our subscribers, analyzed our data, and researched media consumption habits. We strategized and prepared. Finally, we’re ready to share our plan with you.
Copyediting newsletter is going all digital.
We’re laying the newsletter format to rest. No more newsletter emails trapped in spam folders. No more series of clicks to get to the good stuff. No more PDFs refusing to download. No more promising yourself you’ll read the newsletter today—really.
Starting Thursday, June 7, newsletter articles will be published as premium articles here on the website, alongside our popular free articles. Each Thursday, you’ll find a new premium article on our site, available to all our paid subscribers.
If you’re not a Copyediting subscriber, though, you might not know what you’re missing. So we’re giving you the first three articles for free. From June 7 through June 21, our new premium articles will publish as free articles.
You’ll be able to read:
- Adrienne Montgomerie’s Technically Speaking article about hardware for your mobile office,
- Jonathon Owen’s Grammar on the Edge article about cleft sentences, and
- Sarah Grey’s In Style article about capitalizing appositives—all for free.
We think you’ll agree that content of this caliber, publishing week after week, is worth paying for. But that’s not all an individual subscription gives you. You also get:
- 18 years’ worth of premium newsletters, downloadable as PDFs
- A free, downloadable copy of Surviving and Thriving at Conferences, now in its 2nd edition
- Discounts on our popular mentoring groups
- Access to Ask Copyediting, where subscribers can ask Copyediting’s editors questions about their work and get a personal response
- A free subscription to Copyediting Weekly
Reading habits have changed. Our email inboxes and computer desktops are littered with organization newsletters, white papers, and industry reports that we never get around to reading. Yet we keep up on industry news: we read, share, and discuss articles daily with our fellow editors. We haven’t stopped our industry reading; we’ve just reshaped it to fit our digital lives.
Copyediting newsletter has seen a lot of changes over its 28-year history, and each one has been in the interest of our readers. When Mary Beth Protomastro sold the newsletter to McMurry, McMurry was able to reach more readers and increase the number of pages in each issue. When it changed the format from print to PDF, it was able to better manage the subscription price and give subscribers archive access.
Now we’re making it easier for subscribers to access the articles they value so much.
You already know the quality we put into our free articles. Over the next few weeks, you’ll discover how much more we put into our premium articles.
Remember, though, after June 21, to get access to our premium articles, you’ll need to subscribe!