Copyediting Completes Pilot Mentoring Groups
The pilot Mentoring Groups were run in Summer 2016 and were a big success! Now we are formalizing the program, recruiting more mentors, and planning for an open rollout in early 2017. Read below for more information on how Mentoring Groups work.
If you’ve been waiting for a mentoring experience to help you reach your editing or business goals, your time is now!
We’re launching our mentoring program with two mentor groups, both led by Director of Training Laura Poole, an experienced mentor and certified professional coach.
Mentoring is a personal, customized approach to learning. In both one-on-one and group mentoring, the mentor creates learning opportunities precisely based on what mentees need.
What Is a Mentoring Group?
Each Copyediting mentoring group will consist of several editors seeking guidance and support in a specific area, such as editing skills, niche specialties, career, or business building.
For example, one group might be 15 editors who want to leap to full-time freelancing and 1 mentor who has already done full-time freelancing for some time and can offer guidance.
How Do I Know If a Mentoring Group Is for Me?
A mentoring group is a good choice for you if:
- You want to learn from an expert.
- You enjoy collaborating with your peers.
- You want more flexibility than a class.
What’s the Time Commitment?
Your group will meet virtually for one hour on a biweekly basis for several months.
What Will Meetings Be Like?
Your mentor will facilitate the meetings. Because a mentor group is less structured than a specific class, students will have a greater opportunity to interact with the mentor and each other. You will share ideas and receive input and feedback from the mentor.
To create a successful group, all members must contribute by sharing thoughts, goals, action items, accomplishments, and struggles. The mentor will respond to specific group needs, creating flexibility in what is presented and discussed.
How Can I Get the Most from My Mentoring Group?
To ensure your mentoring experience is successful:
- Commit to attend as many meetings as possible. True mentorship hinges on real-time interaction. The meeting schedule will be set based on group preferences. Meetings will last about 1 hour and run biweekly.
- Commit to participating. You will get the most out of mentorship by asking questions, joining the discussion, and getting involved. No lurking allowed!
- Be ready to work for what you want. Although the mentor and other group members will offer advice and suggestions, the personal growth you seek will not be handed to you on a silver platter. There are no awards just for showing up. You will be encouraged to try things beyond your comfort zone!
- Treat all group members respectfully. Conversations should always be respectful and be kept confidential.
What Kind of Technology Do I Need?
You will need a computer with an Internet connection. We will use meeting software, such as GoToMeeting, AnyMeeting, or Google Hangouts. There will also be a secret Facebook group.
How Much Will It Cost?
The fee is yet to be decided but will adhere to Copyediting’s commitment to creating products and services that are affordable for the average copyeditor and that pay the professionals who create these products and services.
Fill out the form below and let us know which group you are interested in. Add suggestions and thoughts, and let us know what weekdays and times might work for you!