This week we expand our search to non-editing associations where you can interact with potential clients, not just colleagues. Last week we looked at the variety of Canadian editors’ associations that can help you find training, colleagues, and networking. We also mentioned some US associations that accept foreign members. This week we expand our search to non-editing associations where you can interact with potential clients, not just colleagues.
In Canada, you’ve pretty much got to be prepared to be the black sheep — the lone editor in an organization. But there is a lot to be said for being the one editor who everyone in your market knows.
Many of these organizations require that you be a professional practicing the field. But they often have affiliate or associate categories for those who don’t hold the necessary certification. If there’s no membership opportunity for you, see if you can contribute to their blog or present your area of expertise at their conference. At least, think of these organizations as a place to meet your clients and stay abreast of industry topics.
Editing school textbooks? Join a teachers’ association.
- Science Teachers’ Association of Ontario
- Ontario College of Teachers
- Teachers of Home Economics Specialist Association
Working on financial reports? Perhaps the CGAA is for you, or:
- Association for Financial Professionals
- Canadian Bookkeepers Association
- Canadian Economics Association
Fiction your thing? Join one of the writers’ groups:
- CANSCAIP (Canadian Society of Children’s Authors, Illustrators, and Performers)
- Writers’ Guild of Canada
- Writers’ Union of Canada
- Professional Writers Association of Canada
- …and many more
Medical topics your specialty? You’ve got a long list of specialist organizations to choose from, here are just three:
- Canadian Pharmacists Association
- Canadian Institute of Public Health Inspectors
- Canadian Hearing Society
There are many more professional organizations, hundreds literally, in a full list of professional organizations in Canada.